I have kept journals for 9 years and so its surprising that I should only discover blogging as a new format of journal writing. It's about time I embrace it and see if its as fun.




Saturday 9 March 2013

New York ACEO collection

Statue of Liberty - 2.5" x 3.5" ACEO
 I've known about ACEOs for a long time, yet never really took them seriously. So before this collection I tested the waters with a few random pieces, a few bunny ones, local landmarks and a lion! I'm always trying to figure out the next big thing and wanting to stick with my bright colours I pushed the landmarks up a notch. However I've gone to watercolour, which is unusual - unlike acrylic you can't always achieve the same sort of colour vibrancy however the textures look a lot more fluid and interesting. I've painted landmarks before but I've always opted for local places, great for my friends to look at and recognise but perhaps a limited market. So how about New York, I've never been there and many others haven't either but who hasn't heard of the Statue of Liberty? I'm sure they're not all recognisable, the Green Wood Cemetery (3rd picture down) is new to me but the building is beautiful and iconic. I did these all at once, it saves time to put all 5 pieces of card down, outline them all and only have to mix the appropriate colours once for the session. Also embraced a looser style, normally I'd be really accurate with the lines and colour, not letting any spill over. However watercolour looks quite good when you're ever so slightly messy with it.


Library of Columbia University - 2.5" x 3.5" ACEO
Green Wood Cemetery - 2.5" x 3.5" ACEO
General Grant Memorial - 2.5" x 3.5" ACEO
Brooklyn Bridge - 2.5" x 3.5" ACEO



Stay tuned - I'm working on the San Francisco collection next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
UA-39710798-1